Week 22, 2017

I have been obsessed with bird photography for a few months now. It started as an accidentally nice capture of European goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) back in January >  


and I have kept on looking out for birds ever since! The last course I took this school year was ornithological identification and it was seriously one of my favorite subjects I've ever had. Surely, tough and frustrating at times (learning 300 bird species in a few weeks isn't that easy apparently!), but it made me fall in love with bird watching. Thanks to this I now feel a strong desire to spend my time outdoors, trying/ hoping to spot as many previously unseen birds as possible! 
This week has been quite lucky for me as I saw the lesser spotted woodpecker, sparrowhawk and baby chaffinch for the first time. As well as blackcap which I've only seen once before, during a field trip with the ornithology course. 
So I have decided to share my weekly captures here every Sunday and see how many birds (and an occasional non-bird) I can photograph in seven days! 


♀ Blackbird (Turdus merula)

♂ Blackbird (Turdus merula) 
Singing its song

Suspicious ♂  Blackbird (Turdus merula)

Caught a magpie (Pica pica) enjoying some leftover pizza


Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) flying over the city

 ♀ White/pied wagtail (Motacilla alba)

♀ White/pied wagtail (Motacilla alba)

♂ White/pied wagtail (Motacilla alba)
 I took these pictures of wagtail on different days, and looking at them now saw some minor differences. It can be seen that in the first two pictures there is a white line surrounding the black chest, while on the third one the black goes straight to grey. My best guess after looking at Collins bird guide is that the first two pictures are of a female white wagtail, and the third one depicts a male. Also the supposed female has more grey color on the flanks. 

♂ Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)

Robin (Erithacus rubecula)
 ♀ Lesser spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor)



 ♀ Lesser spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor)

♂ Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)
Baby chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs). Best eyebrows ever <3 

Herring gull (Larus argentatus)

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus)

A couple of ♂ mallards (Anas platyrhynchos)

Rock dove, also known as rock pigeon or simply pigeon (Columba livia)

A group of black-headed gulls (Larus ridibundus) and a ♀ mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)

Fieldfares (Turdus pilaris) and flowery background


♂ Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)

♂ Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)
 It's a little difficult to see whether the cap is black() or brown() from these pictures, but it was black!
Eurasian red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris)



Baby Canada goose (Branta canadensis)

_______________________________________________________________
Non-birds 
European hare (Lepus europaeus)
Eurasian red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris)



♀ Roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)







Comments

Popular Posts